RAI and its subsidiaries contribute to the needs of the communities in which we operate through three independent foundations. The foundations support hundreds of national and local organizations that benefit our communities.
Reynolds American Foundation
The Reynolds American Foundation focuses its contribution resources in communities where significant numbers of RAI companies’ employees live and work. Grants are made for one year only; applicants must reapply for additional funding. Grants are awarded in the following areas:
- Education: Public school and community programs that prepare children to enter school ready to learn and programs that focus primarily on improving academic performance of lower-performing and economically disadvantaged students.
- Arts & Culture: Programs focused on enhancement of organizations, opportunities, resources and availability of arts in target communities.
- Social & Economic Development: Programs designed to address unmet needs of at-risk community populations, focusing on overall quality of life. Most funding is allocated to support the United Way in target communities and other organizations focused on basic human needs.
In addition, the Reynolds American Foundation encourages employees’ community support through the Foundation’s Matching Grants Program and utilization of the scholarship program for children of employees.
The Reynolds American Foundation created employee sub-committees around each of its priority giving areas. The committees provide additional opportunities for employee involvement in community engagement. They also better enable the Reynolds American Foundation to support our communities.
American Snuff Company Charitable trust
The American Snuff Company (ASC) Charitable Trust spreads its financial support across a broad range of organizations that have a demonstrated ability to assist people in need in its operating regions, including the American Red Cross, St. Jude’s Children’s Hospital, United Way, Ronald McDonald House and Big Brothers, Big Sisters. Each year, ASC rotates a large donation among their locations of Clarksville, Memphis and Winston-Salem to make a significant contribution, most often to an organization that addresses basic human needs such as food, clothing and shelter. In 2017, ASC presented the Memphis, TN, Brinkley Heights Ministries Emergency Services Program with a donation of $30,000.
Santa Fe Natural Tobacco Company Foundation
The Santa Fe Natural Tobacco Company (SFNTC) Foundation is dedicated to helping preserve, promote and advance American Indian culture. Using dedicated funds from the sale of SFNTC tobacco products, the Foundation’s three primary objectives are:
- Development of Native American entrepreneurs;
- Facilitation of Native American education; and
- Preservation of Native American languages.